I’m usually pretty open-minded when it comes to books and I try to read everything I can… but… sometimes I find myself putting a book back immediately after picking it up because of certain things.
- If it has a photo on the cover. I don’t know why, I just can’t force myself to read a buy a book that doesn’t have a designed/illustrated cover.
- If it has the movie/tv series cover. This is a big fat nope for me. I think it is great that movies/tv series make people want to read the book too, but I will always choose the book over its adaptation and the same goes for the cover. This is a factor in number 1 too, I just hate that the picture of the characters on the cover tells me how to imagine them and what they should look like. The whole point of a book is that you use your own imagination, right?
- Books about werewolves. This one is weird, because I love all things fantasy but werewolves just don’t float my boat. I recently read Maggie Stiefvater’s Raven Boys series and I loved it so much that I went to read her other books, but as soon as I saw it was about werewolves I just couldn’t. Maybe it is because no werewolf will ever live up to professor Lupin.
- Books about Fae. Admittedly after reading (and loving) A Court of Thorns and Roses and A Court of Mist and Fury this could change.
- Love triangles. This is my biggest pet peeve, especially in YA books. However, saying that, I still end up reading them.
- Series with way too many books. It’s just too overwhelming.
And that’s all I could think of.. only six! I’m not as picky as I thought.
Any that you agree/disagree with?
As always.. thanks to The Broke and Bookish for running Top Ten Tuesday!